Wednesday, September 12, 2012

March 2, 1853--John B. Sherwood to Stephen



I take this oppertunity of answering your letter  I have waited some dayes to think about it  you gave me short notice to give you an answer  my bisnes is such that I cant come this spring  sidney was a coming to be their by the first of april   he was a riting to you when i got your letter but he told me he could get ready to be off in 2 weekes  soe he may be their most as soon as this letter  you can let him have it this year and if you aint___ you can let me know and maby wee will come out this fall or next spring  I shant rite you much news now because it is late and I want to retire  I have bin drove very hard  the sleighing is getting _oor (?)   sidney can tell you all the news  I have made a trade with sidney and he will fich (?) that note out and I have paid most of the expence  of that note (?) and he will bring that out and you can arange it with him  it look to me as though you and george ware going to calofornia but I should advise you to stay to home and take care of you motherless children  I feel to simpathize with you in the loss of your wife but not in the _ame  as you have lost but I now something from the loss of my little girl  may the grace of god support you and guide(?) you and your children safe throug this world and ____ you all finley home to heaven

Stephen Sherwood         J. (John) B. Sherwood


John B. Sherwood (1817-1891)was  a brother six years young than Stephen Sherwood (1817-1891).  He stayed in Pennsylvania.

John advises Stephen not go go to California.  He mentions that Stephen had planned to take George with him. In the letter (October 6, 1853) a George is mentioned in California. Did Stephen send his son George to California even though he did not go?  John advises Stephen "to stay to home and take care of you motherless children."  With the death of his second wife, Sophia, about two months earlier, Stephen had five boys twelve or younger.  His youngest son, John F, was just two months old.

No comments:

Post a Comment